ESSR Outreach Program
The basic idea of the ESSR outreach program is to send out a team of experienced speakers to run a teaching course in a country, where musculoskeletal radiology is still developing.
2018 ESSR Outreach MSK US Course
May 11-13, 2018
Local Organiser: Gordana Ivanac, Tilda Bogdanović
2017 ESSR Outreach Course
May 25-26, 2017
Local Organiser: Marina Aloyan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2015 MSK Magnetic Resonance Basic Course – MSK anatomy and basic pathologies
December 4-5, 2015
Local Organiser: Iwona Sudoł-Szopińska
The aims of the ESSR outreach program are as follows:
– to fulfil one of the primary objectives of the ESSR in advancing the knowledge about the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal disorders and to provide a European forum for education and research of musculoskeletal radiology
– to provide education in European countries where the access to high quality teaching in musculoskeletal radiology may be limited by financial or geographical constraints
– to support the educational activities of local groups or societies in these countries and to enhance the future cooperation of these groups or societies and the ESSR
Outreach Program Authorities
All decisions about the ESSR outreach program are under the authority of the ESSR executive committee. The present vice president and president elect serve as the chairman and co-chairman of the program. The ESSR subcommittees are asked to propose locations and topics. Proposals can also be made by individual ESSR members to email@example.com.
Location & Local Organizer
All proposals for individual programs should in addition to a location include identification of an appropriate local organizer. The local organizer´s responsibilities are as follows:
– to set up a program in cooperation with a ESSR subcommittee and/or the chairmen of the outreach program and to propose local speakers
– to provide a suitable local venue to hold the program
– to arrange dates for the program, travel schedule, lecturers’ hotel accomodations
– to handle all aspects of registration of participants in coordination with the ESSR office
– to seek support from industry towards program costs (if required)
A typical outreach program includes 1 or 2 days of instruction by 2-4 ESSR speakers and, facultatively, 2-4 local speakers. The program should be a mixture of didactic lectures to the whole assembly and smaller tutorial or practical (e.g. ultrasound courses) sessions with smaller groups of participants. The preferred course language is English. Depending on the location of the venue and the composition of the faculty the program can be held in other languages as well. The level of the lectures and tutorials need to take into account the educational level of radiologists working in that country. The level has to be defined together with the local organizer and the local speakers and communicated to the ESSR speakers at an early stage of program planning.
Choice of Lecturers
The initiators of an individual outreach program should propose a team of 2-4 ESSR speakers to be agreed by the chairmen. The following should be taken into account when choosing the speakers:
– each speaker should be an ESSR member
– each speaker should have recognized skills as a teacher
– the expertise of the speakers within the team should complement each other
– preference should be given to speakers with local knowledge or specific language skills relevant to the country of the venue
The faculty can be expanded by 2-4 local speakers to be proposed by the local organizer and to be agreed by the chairman. Local speakers should be experienced musculoskeletal radiologists with adequate educational skills.
One of the ESSR speakers should be appointed lead lecturer by the chairmen. It will be the lead lecturer´s responsibility to act as a liaison with the local organizer in order to finalise the program and to provide the chairman and executive committee with a brief report after the program is completed.
Budget & Reimbursement
The budget for the outreach program will be included in the treasurer´s annual budget presented to and agreed by the executive committee and the general assembly. The ESSR will support 2 programs organized each year with a maximum expense of € 10.000 per program.
The grant will be used to cover the ESSR speakers´ travel expenses (economy class air fare, travel to and from airport, airport parking, visa applications, etc.) and costs for hotel accommodation (up to 3 nights). Speakers should submit an expenses claim together with the original receipts to the ESSR office within 2 months of the end of the outreach program.
DOWNLOAD EXPENSES CLAIM FORM for speakers here.
The executive committee might individually decide to compensate for potential financial disadvantages to the local organizer with a sum of up to € 5.000 (50% of the calculated costs for speaker reimbursement), if an entirely planned program has to be cancelled due to some unexpected event.